If you are looking for a Hot Cross Bun recipe that is easy to make but still maintains the flavor, this is it!
The subtle hint of spice mixed with melted chocolate & butter makes these buns family & kid friendly.
1 tsp yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup warm milk
1 cup almond flour
1 3/4 cup all purpose or spelt flour
Pinch of nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
100g dark chocolate chips
1. Combine yeast, coconut sugar and warmed milk in a medium sized bowl. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add flour, spices, vanilla extract & chocolate chips. Mix well using a wooden spoon. Create a well in the center of the flour & combine the yeast mixture with the coconut oil & egg until a dough forms. On a floured surface, gently knead the dough.
3. Lightly grease the large mixing bowl with 1 tsp coconut oil and place the dough in the bowl. Cover and set aside for 1 hour (this allows the dough to expand).
4. Preheat the oven to 350F & divide the dough into 10 equal portions. Take the 10 portions & roll them into balls.
5. Lightly grease a pan with coconut oil & place the buns on pan. Let the buns sit for another 10 minutes before baking.
6. Place in the pre heated oven & bake for 10 minutes or until slightly golden and risen.
7. While the buns are cooling off, melt chocolate chips to make the cross.
8. Make a cross using melted chocolate or cashew cream. Serve warm with butter. Enjoy!
🌟 Use #medhacooks when you make my Hot Cross Buns!
Make sure you follow me on…
Snapchat 👻: @medhacooks to see the behind the scenes of my cooking experiments